05 November 2010

recipe: mmm...Brussels sprouts...

Last week I promised I would share with you the veg treats I made for our annual Halloween party.  Since I just spent the last couple hours putting together a full-on-party-post on my other blog, I am just going to link it for you to check out in your spare time.  Here.

I will however share with you a quick veg recipe I whipped up today for lunch.  Oh man.  So yummy.  Let's call it Lemony Brussely Brussels Sprouts.

Lemony Brussely Brussels Sprouts
serves 2

1 pound Brussels sprouts
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2T safflower oil
1/4 yellow onion, thinly sliced
few splashes of sparkling water
few dashes of Lawry's garlic salt {the only kind we buy}
freshly ground black peppercorns
splash balsamic vinegar

1.  Heat safflower oil in skillet over medium heat and add onions.
2.  While onions are sauteing, slice the sprouts in half, discarding the base and any non-pretty outer leaves.
3.  Stir the onions.  You want them to caramelize.
4.  Add the sprouts to the pan of caramelizing onions and add the lemon zest and juice, and the Lawry's and pepper.  Stir and flip.
5.  Turn up the heat and leave the sprouts alone for a minute, allowing them to brown.
6.  Add a splash of sparkling water {or tap water; I just happened to be drinking a sparkling water while I was cooking} and scrape the bottom of the skillet, releasing the brown bits.
7.  Add a little more water and cover the skillet with a lid, allowing the sprouts to steam so they cook all the way through.
8.  Oh my gosh, they are so cute!  These adorable tiny baby cabbages...
9.  Stir some more and stab one of the bigger sprout halves with a fork to see if they are ready.  They shouldn't be too hard to stab, but they shouldn't be mushy either.
10.  Spoon into individual bowls and drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar.  Serve warm.
11.  Indulge.

I snapped a quick photo before Gabe + I polished off our bowls.

Have a fab weekend!

No comments: