17 December 2010

response to reader's comment

I received a comment the other day from Mali, and when I began writing back to her in the comments section, I realized I had written a novel.  Therefore, I am posting my response here. Mali had some good questions that I think many people have, so I will first share her comment:

Mali:

I just saw your vegan blog today from a facebook link.... and I'm curious. Our family follows a lot of Michal Pollan's "food rules". We buy all of our meat, eggs, and dairy from local sustainable sources, or raise our own. (We have 15 hens, and are getting 2-3 cows this spring) We grow, pick, and can about 75-80% of all the vegetables we eat. Our dog doesn't even eat kibble! I guess I see us as having similar views on animals and food, but going about it in a different way. What do you see is the ideological difference?
I also try my best to stay away from chemical laden foods. Which I guess is what I'm most curious about. As omnivores our bodies have innate needs for certain vitamins, minerals, etc. that come most easily from animal products. How do you fill your nutritional needs (and wants) with out the use of "faux" foods? I've never really done much label reading of vegan foods, but I would think taking, for example, butter...a product which is mostly dairy, and taking all the natural dairy out would leave you with mostly synthetic substances.
I hope I'm not sounding critical... because I think vegans are awesome!! I wish I could get my family to swing at least a little that way!! I just really love food, and I love to learn new things about it. It is also really nice to know someone else who really thinks about where their food comes from, and what the repercussions of their choices are. I hate talking to people about raising our own animals and hearing, "Oh I could never kill an animal, " or, "that's gross!" While they choke down a cheeseburger. :) Anyway... You're the only vegan I know, and I've always been very curious about it so I thought I'd chat you up a bit!

My response:

Mali - you don't sound critical at all, and I'm glad you asked! A great resource for scientific facts (with years of research to back it) is Alicia Silverstone's book: The Kind Diet, which I can't praise enough. She's a fountain of knowledge. As for my personal reasons, I'm kind of a health nut and don't prioritize exercising, so since I have a desk job, I knew I needed to do something to stay fit now that my metabolism has gone down down down. I suffered from too-often stomach issues when I ate dairy or meat, and I lacked the discipline to make healthy choices when I was starving at lunchtime. I also had really annoying adult acne that I was OVER, so I looked for solutions. I am an all natural person, I don't take meds, have never loved soda, and have never really enjoyed super-processed food. When I first read the first few pages of Alicia's book, I was hooked! I had been a pescetarian {vegetarian, still ate seafood} for about a year and a half before I decided to try vegan, and the positive results were instantaneous. It's crazy, really. I don't have acne anymore, and I have TOO MUCH energy. I've slimmed down significantly {= more shopping...yay!} and I just feel amazing. Again, I don't exercise other than taking my dogs for walks + housework, so I slimmed down and flushed all my body's toxins just by eating natural plant-based foods. I've found {most} vegan products to be even more delicious than the non-vegan, i.e. Earth Balance vegan butter--outstanding, and made with soy and sugar beets. I don't eat synthetic foods, just natural. I love animals, and I'm anti-cruelty, but my reasons are more health-conscious. The hormones and high-toxin levels in animals that max right before they are slaughtered are present in the food that is produced, which then get absorbed in the human body. That's really gross to think about. Other than the cholesterol factor, I am not opposed to eating farm fresh eggs on occasion, if I know the source, like my boss whose dad has free-range chickens that have a better life than he does! :) If you incorporate non-animal products in your family's foods, they a) won't know the difference, and b) will love it. I'd start with swapping out your butter w/ Earth Balance, then work your way up to Daiya cheeses. They'll know the difference in the taste of the cheese, but it tastes really yummy, I promise. It tastes a million times better than any fat-free cheese you've ever tried for sure. That's awesome you grow your own veggies! We do too. Well, Gabe does, since I have a black thumb, but I cook/can what he grows! ;) If the veggies come from your garden, I'd recommend not washing them, and just eating them with a little soil remaining, so you get the vitamin B12 our bodies need. Strict vegans need to take a supplement for this, as it's only found in animal parts and soil.
Oh, and I LOVE food too! I love it more than anything. I don't eat food that doesn't taste good--ever! Period.

---

I hope that helped, and everyone, please feel free to respond!  I may not have all the answers, but I am learning too, so I can surely get them.  Thank you!

No comments: