15 December 2010

new fave drink + a major compliment!

Today I stumbled upon an article about secret fast-food menu items that I find interesting {and partly disturbing}, and decided to share it with you. 

The reporter only shares a handful of the following six big-name food stops' secret offerings:
  • In-N-Out Burger
  • McDonald's
  • Taco Bell
  • Jamba Juice
  • Dairy Queen
  • Starbucks
I'll warn you now that if you are reading my blog, I am assuming you are a healthy eater and possibly even vegan, you will not be excited to learn many of these secret menu items.  I am also assuming you will, like me, find McDonald's Land, Sea, and Air Burger completely revolting.  It's called that because, you guessed it, it contains three kinds of animals--one beef patty, one McChicken patty, and one Filet-O-Fish--all sandwiched between a single bun.  :::All together now::: gross!

And if we weren't already inundated with options at the Starbucks counter, the reporter shares twelve secret drinks, one less healthy than the next.  I'm the chick who simply orders a regular drip coffee, which I can order and receive in the time it takes the person next to me in line to finish spouting off their order.  Venti 190° extra shot double pump sweetened...blah blah blah ?! 

However, I recently overheard a customer order an Earl Grey latte, which is not on the menu, and I was intrigued.  So, the next time I found myself in a Starbucks {not that often believe it or not} I ordered an Earl Grey latte with soymilk, unsweetened.  Lemme tell ya, it was so yummy!  The barista told me to next time try the same drink, but with vanilla rooibos tea rather than Earl Grey.  I did, and I loved it even more. 

I recommend trying the vanilla rooibos tea latte with soymilk the next time you are at Starbucks, then tell me what you think.  It might be my new favorite 'anytime' drink!  I love that rooibos is caffeine-free, and according to wikipedia, full of other healthful properties like antioxidants and allergy- and even acne-fighters...

...Which brings me to the major compliment I received!  Last weekend at a friend's annual holiday party, a girl I went to high school with and whom I don't see but maybe twice a year, told me my skin looked exceptionally great!  She surveyed my face somewhat closely and complimented on its clarity.  That made my millennium, you don't even know.  You see, before adopting a vegan diet, my skin decided to be that of my fifteen-year-old-self, and we all know how unattractive adult acne is.  The problem wasn't with my beauty regime, but rather with my diet.  I know this because, after about three months of eating vegan, my skin really is clear, tight, glowing, and well, beautiful!  I was told that my skin would improve after a while, but seeing is believing.  I'm a believer. 

I'm also proud to report that I have never, not once in my twenty-six years, tried a McDonald's Big Mac.  This is a fact that I can confidently proclaim and take to the grave. 

Happy hump day, friends!  Go get yourselves a tea latte w/ soymilk.  ;)

2 comments:

Mali Geister said...

I just saw your vegan blog today from a facebook link.... and I'm curious. Our family follows a lot of Michal Pollan's "food rules". We buy all of our meat, eggs, and dairy from local sustainable sources, or raise our own. (We have 15 hens, and are getting 2-3 cows this spring) We grow, pick, and can about 75-80% of all the vegetables we eat. Our dog doesn't even eat kibble! I guess I see us as having similar views on animals and food, but going about it in a different way. What do you see is the idealogical difference?
I also try my best to stay away from chemical laden foods. Which I guess is what I'm most curious about. As omnivores our bodies have innate needs for certain vitamins, minerals, etc. that come most easily from animal products. How do you fill your nutritional needs (and wants) with out the use of "faux" foods? I've never really done much label reading of vegan foods, but I would think taking, for example, butter...a product which is mostly dairy, and taking all the natural dairy out would leave you with mostly synthetic substances.
I hope I'm not sounding critical... because I think vegans are awesome!! I wish I could get my family to swing at least a little that way!! I just really love food, and I love to learn new things about it. It is also really nice to know someone else who really thinks about where their food comes from, and what the repercussions of their choices are. I hate talking to people about raising our own animals and hearing, "Oh I could never kill an animal, " or, "that's gross!" While they choke down a cheeseburger. :) Anyway... You're the only vegan I know, and I've alway been very curious about it so I thought I'd chat you up a bit!

size too small said...

rooibos tea is south africa's tea of choice. i've seen it popping up in the states more lately- it's sooo good. next time i'm in the states and in a starbucks i'll have to try the vanilla rooibos latte.