10 December 2010

not so pretty, but delicious

Last night after taking a yoga class I happened upon by chance, I came home and made Alicia's Scrambled Tofu.  Yum.  I adapted her recipe in TKD, using the veggies I had on hand, which sadly were only peas and carrots.  I didn't snap any photos, partly because it was after 10 p.m. and I was half asleep, and partly because the dish isn't all that pretty.

Before I left for the gym, I had prepared the tofu so that it would be drained and ready for 'scrambling.'  I remember enjoying a tofu scramble at a nearby restaurant, Cafe Bernardo, for breakfast one morning, and it reminded me of an egg skillet scramble with all the veggies and different textures and flavors.  It was so good, and Alicia's recipe did not disappoint.  She notes that adding the umeboshi vinegar is optional, but I love it so much, it was mandatory in my case.  Seriously, I am addicted to that bright iridescent pink tasty goodness.  I may start needing to buy it in bulk.

Her recipe is easily adaptable to whatever goods you have in your fridge and pantry.  I finished my dish with some fresh scallions and toasted sesame seeds.  This dish would be great any time of day, and make an especially tasty breakfast meal if you are or were once a major scrambled egg lover.  It is also part of her superhero recipes, so you can feel extra good about eating a giant bowl of it.  I know I do.

No comments: